Rob Miller is a chartered accountant and a member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW). Rob is also a Practising member of The Academy of Experts and a member of the Network of Independent Forensic Accountants (NIFA).
Rob is a co-founder of Inquesta and has over 10 years experience in forensic accounting. Rob has been instructed on numerous cases including fraud and other investigations, criminal defence and confiscation proceedings, commercial and contractual disputes, transaction dispute advisory and valuation matters. Rob has acted for claimants, defendants and as a single joint expert.
Rob has acted on over 100 cases in various types of work, and has a particular specialism in defending confiscation proceedings (POCA). Based on his eye for detail, Rob is able to see through the complex and detailed information to assist in arriving at a fair settlement.
Examples of Rob Miller’s work includes:
Commercial and contractual disputes
- Preparation of an expert report for the Court relating to the defence of a $12 million claim. The work involved reviewing the claim put forward, along with a detailed analysis of substantial volumes of accounting information and subsequently I provided an expert report for the Court.
- Preparation of an expert witness report quantifying loss of profits due to disruption in trade following the unlawful activities of a public body
- Assessed quantum of loss to a motor dealership franchise as a result of a Compulsory Purchase Order. Calculated the losses prior to the CPO and the future losses in perpetuity. Prepared an expert report and assisted in the negotiation process
- Jointly instructed to prepare an expert report in relation to a claim for monies allegedly unlawfully taken by the defendant. This involved analysing significant amounts of data and discussions with the parties in order to calculate the true commission figure.
Fraud investigations and criminal defence:
- Investigated a number of frauds at a company within the healthcare sector. Reviewed the results of the investigations performed by the company and recommended further work to be undertaken. Assisted management in producing a fraud response plan to assist them in future investigations
- Investigated a multi-million pound “black hole” in the results of a UK subsidiary of a FTSE listed company. Used analytical processes to review high volumes of journal postings and identified systematic manipulation of results by senior management over a five year period
- Assisted in the defence of a person who had been charged with mortgage fraud by allegedly overstating his income on his mortgage application. Rob performed a detailed review and analysis of the Defendant’s income which proved that he did not overstate his income. Based in Rob’s evidence the Prosecution dropped the case prior to trial.
- Assisted in the defence of a convicted drug dealer who was facing a confiscation order of in excess of £5 million. The work involved a review of thousands of e-mails in order to create the Defendant’s accounts and calculate the benefit obtained from his crime. Based on Rob’s evidence, the confiscation order was reduced to under £300,000.
Transaction dispute advisory
- Assisted in completion accounts disputes following disposals of a wide range of business
- Valued the entire share capital of a company to allow the shareholders to assess an offer made by management as part of a management buy-out
Personal injury matters
- I have assisted on numerous personal injury matters for both claimant and defendant and written many expert accounting reports on the quantum of losses.
What the clients say:
“Rob Miller provided invaluable assistance when instructed late in the day on a serious, high value and complex cross border dispute involving detailed analysis of mountains of historical and incomplete accounting information disclosed in the proceedings. He responded quickly and authoritively with a concise and easy to follow report. Happy to recommend.”
“Rob Miller is an excellent and personable forensic accountant. I ‘inherited’ Rob Miller on a complex criminal case which I took over from the solicitor who originally represented him. The client’s case presented many challenges due to its complexity, seriousness and the short time-frame within which we had to work. Despite a lack of evidence being provided from the client, other than anecdotal and confusing tirades without substance, Rob Miller was able to produce a helpful, insightful and cogent report. Working with Rob Miller is a pleasure and I will definitely use his services again.”
“Rob Miller is without a shadow of a doubt one of the very best Forensic accountants I have had the pleasure to instruct and work with. Mr Millers eye for detail, willingness to go the extra mile, professional approach and ability to think outside of the box is second to none. Rob’s ability to work to a tight schedule and to anticipate the next set of instructions premised on the work he has completed is quite remarkable. I would have no hesitation in recommending him to anyone, either client or instructing solicitor.”